About Dr. Mark Goldberg, PhD, DABT, C.Dir.
Dr. Mark Goldberg is President of Karamella Consulting Inc. He founded the company in 2011 to provide toxicology and regulatory consulting services to clients in industry, the legal profession and government.
Education and Professional Qualifications
Dr. Goldberg is board-certified by the American Board of Toxicology and qualified as an expert witness in Ontario Provincial Court, Federal Tax Court and federal review panels.
He received a B.Sc. in biology from the University of Western Ontario in 1974 and a PhD in pharmacology from the Faculty of Medicine at Memorial University in 1980. He did his postdoctoral work in biochemical and genetic toxicology at the Ontario Cancer Institute.
Dr. Goldberg joined the Department of Biomedical Sciences at the Ontario Veterinary College of the University of Guelph in 1982, and was a tenured faculty member until 1994. He was awarded the University of Guelph's Forster Fellowship, given annually to the university's top researcher in 1987. Dr. Goldberg is the author of more than 50 scientific publications, primarily in the cancer research field.
In 1992, Dr. Goldberg co-founded GlobalTox, a privately owned international corporation and served as the company’s CEO until MTE Consultants Inc. purchased the company in 2009. GlobalTox provided toxicology consulting services for product testing and registration, human and environmental toxicology, and risk assessment. The firm specialized in toxicological assessment of pharmaceuticals, chemicals, natural health products, pesticides and cosmetics.
Expert Panels and Committees
Dr. Goldberg has served on many expert committees, including as Chair of the Advisory Committee on Environmental Standards (Ontario Ministry of Environment) from 1990-1996. This position involved reviewing proposed standards for contaminants in water, air and soil; consulting with the public on proposed standards; providing advice to the Minister; and serving as spokesperson to the public and press.
Dr. Goldberg has also served as:
- Chair of the Peer Review Committee, Clean-Up Guidelines for Contaminated Sites in Ontario, Ontario Ministry of the Environment
- Member, Expert Advisory Committee on Natural Health Products, Health Canada
- Member, Work group on Ecosystem Health, Great Lakes Advisory Board, International Joint Commission
- Member, Steering Committee on Environmental Technology, Canadian Standards Association
- Expert Witness before the Lindane Board of Review (an independent review board established by the federal Minister of Health).
- Chair of the Advisory Committee on Environmental Standards, Ontario Ministry of the Environment
He has also received the Chartered Directors (C.Dir.) designation from The Directors College.
Dr. Goldberg is also co-founder and a corporate director of PlantForm Corporation, Board Chair of Precision Biomonitoring Inc. and a mentor at Innovation Guelph, working with CEOs of startups and SMEs primarily in the clean-tech, biotech, agri-tech, manufacturing and food & beverage sectors.